Friday, March 9, 2007

With a pure heart



I was looking at my favorite teacup today. It's my special cup I use when I'm having a quiet time, with a nice warm cup of herbal tea. It's very precious to me. The chipped and cracked teacup may look hideous, but to me it's priceless. You see, I have my grandmother's old sugar bowl, and while on a trip to KY. I found this worn teacup, that matched grandma's sugar bowl perfectly, with the same identical pattern. To me, I'd found a treasure, while everyone else passed it on by, because it was chipped, cracked and stained. If company came over and I was to serve them with the best china in the house, they would be served with this cup. I'm sure the person would think they were being treated terribly, being served with such a thing. And I'm sure they would think me to be a rude and ill-mannered person. I think sometimes we are offended by clumsy gestures of courtesy. Sometimes we judge someone by how they look on the outside, knowing full well that God sees the heart and it's intent. How many blessings have we scoffed at, or refused because we have such good "I-sight"? Matthew 5:8 says "Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Psalm 24:3-4 Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? Or who shall stand in his holy place? 4) He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. Who are we to decide if God's blessings appear acceptable? Who are we to decide what package they will come wrapped in? Let's borrow a Psalm, a prayer of cleansing. Psalm 51:9-11 Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy Holy Spirit from me. Lord, teach us to accept thy blessings with a pure heart.

13 comments:

Beemoosie said...

Mikki, I LOVE this blog!!! So nice to know we are sisters in Christ!

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Thanks so much for sharing your heart in desiring to honor our Lord!

Kim Campbell said...

Ahhh, another great blog! I am excited to add this one to my favorites as well.

Kim Campbell said...

You would probably like Marme Dear's website and products. It speaks to the heart, home, family and Christ.

TJ said...

I love your Tea Thyme blog too!!
I've recently developed a love of a good "cuppa" as my European friends say...I have a cup every afternoon after my blog visitation!
The scriptures you chose were just right!
:-D

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Mikki Jo...thanks for stopping by to see me. Very nice scriptures & sentiments. Please stop by again & chat with me. I love meeting new women in Christ.

Rhoda
Southern Hospitality

Portrait of Peter said...

A beautiful and emotive post and does give one such thoughts of the treasured memories and of your lovely reasoning behind the cup.

Blessings to you and have a wonderful weekend.

Miss Theresa said...

psalm 51: 9-11 is one of my very favorites... Lovely post.

Lila Rostenberg said...

beautiful~

TO BECOME said...

I would love to come to your home any day and drink from your percious tea cup. I love it. Sometimes the old things are the most precious because they carry so many memories. connie from Texas

Melissa said...

hey-I seen you had left me a post. I'm glad to see you visit. It's nice to talk to other women but esp Christian women. I like what all you had to say on the left side of your blog about women being seasoned with Christ. It kind of goes with my Girls of Grace blog for Christian women-esp the devotion on being a Proverbs 31 Woman. Check it out if haven't already. I'll be posting part 2 of my devo from yesterday some today or this weekend. My husband has a street ministry but he wants to get into jail ministry. Our church just hired a new pastor and he starts in June and he is involved in jail ministry so my husband plans on talking to him about going with him. Keep in touch. God Bless.

Unknown said...

Hi MikkiJo, I didn't know you had another great blog!! Very nicely done and I love the teacup too, chips and all! Hugs!

sugarsandsalts said...

Intersting blog!It looks like an old English cup.